Monday 27 July 2015

Outfit Post: Event Styling


When dressing for a special event, I tend to put some thought into my outfit. I like to stand out and wear something unique, but I also make sure the outfit represents my personal style. There's nothing worse than showing up at an event and not feeling like your bold and confident self.

So when deciding what to wear, I like to ask myself three questions:

1. Will I be comfortable?
If I am tugging at a dress or worried about it being too tight or too short, I will spend the entire evening self conscious and paying more attention to my outfit than to the event itself. Definitely not how I want to spend my time. I am a huge believer in looking good and feeling good in your clothes.
2. Is there a unique element to my outfit?
I really love fashion. I love experimenting and playing with trends. Part of my personal style involves taking risks in fashion, so it's important to me to have on something different. Even if I'm in a basic LBD, I'll be sure to add a statement shoe or bold accessory to stand out in the sea of other little black dresses. And finally...
3. Does this represent my own personal style?
As much as I love to play with styles, I know what feels like "me" and I make sure to stick to that. Personally, I avoid short and tight. I am attracted to neutrals over patterns. My preference is a nod to menswear instead of overly feminine. This doesn't mean I'll never stray from these guidelines (experimenting with other styles is part of the fun of fashion), but knowing my own personal style helps me to know what looks I'll confidently rock, especially when getting dressed in a hurry.

This dress from Rent the Runway, hits all three points. The scuba-like material is incredibly comfortable and is form fitting without being too tight. The side cut-out detail transforms this dress into something a little sexier than a standard pencil dress, creating a perfect date night look. And the modern silhouette is on trend, but still classic - representing my own personal style.

What do you look for when choosing a dress for an event? Do you follow any guidelines to make the decision easier? If you need help figuring out your own personal style, I can help.










dress: c/o rent the runway
clutch: vintage (similar here)
shoes: ann taylor (similar here)
earrings: thrifted (similar here)

Outfit Post: Event Styling Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Anna